Monday, August 10, 2015

Week 6

Sorry it's been forever since I've written! Last week I didn't really have a p-day. Well, technically I spent my p-day traveling from Mexico City to Houston, so we didn't get the chance to email.

I definitely had mixed emotions about leaving the CCM. I made some really good friends that I'm going to miss, but I was very ready to get into the field and get to work! During the last two weeks at the CCM, I decided to reread the Book of Mormon. It had been quite a while since I sat down and read it cover to cover. I read the whole thing in only 12 days, the fastest I've ever read it by far. It was so awesome and I definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone. The Book of Mormon really is just a huge cycle of pride. And to think that all those wars and problems started out with murmuring. The scripture "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass" can really apply to both good and bad things. It's so important to do all the little things so that through you, the Lord can work His mighty miracles.

Last Monday, we woke up at 4 am and spent all day traveling. Our plane got delayed an hour and a half, but other than that everything went really smoothly! As soon as we landed at the airport, we were picked up and taken straight to transfer meeting where we met our new companions and went on our way. There was a less than 3 minute interview with the mission president, but that's about it! This transfer, three of us came from the Mexico MTC, and there were 27 that came from Provo. Greenies for daysssssss. My new companion is Hermana Bonar. She is from Louiston, Utah, and will go home after training me these next two transfers. She's awesome. She knows so much about the gospel and she knows so much Spanish and she's also the STL. I have a lot to learn from her.

My area is West Lake Houston South and the city we mostly work in is called Channelview. Or you can call it the promised land if you want, because the people here are SO PREPARED. Hermana Bonar said that her average has been about a baptism every other transfer. But so far for this transfer, we have 5 investigators with scheduled baptismal dates!!

As far as the Spanish goes, we're definitely not immersed in it like Central and South America missions but we use it quite a bit! We only teach in Spanish, so any English contacts we have to refer to the English elders. All of our investigators and the ward members speak Spanish, and then maybe a third or so of the people we contact.

I am the only person in our whole ward that can play the piano. They said they've been praying for someone to come that could play! Yesterday in church I played in Sacrament Meeting, and Sunday School, and Relief Society. Whenever we go to the Olveido family's house for dinner, I spend a few minutes teaching their son to play the piano. Maybe one day he'll be their ward pianist!

Sorry, this letter was a little boring. I'll share more stories next week. The work is definitely moving forward here in Houston, Texas! Miracles are happening every day and it's such a blessing to be a part of this great work. Love you guys.

Con amor, Hermana Baker


This is the picture I drew of our district that was taped to the door of our classroom in the CCM. So, of course, the last day we had to take a real picture of it. (The elders refused to hold hands..)


CCM


OHS REUNION!


I'm going to miss Hermana Lucas!!


At the airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment