Wednesday, July 1, 2015

One Week Down

¡Hola! It has been such an incredible, confusing, exhausting and spiritual week. I don´t know where to begin!


First off, the airplane to Mexico City was FULL of missionaries. We probably took up over half the plane! I had the awesome opportunity to share pass along cards with two people on the plane. Before I get too much credit, I better point out that the flight attendant helped me out a lot. He was a member so was familiar with missionaries, but because he was working he couldn´t say much to the people who were asking him questions about what all these dressed up young people were doing on an airplane to Mexico City. So, he gave me a card, and then I went and gave it to them and in my very VERY broken Spanish told them that the information on the card could help them find out more about our church. It was such a neat experience, and I can´t wait for the next 18 months!


So in this past week, my companion Hermana Kemple and I have been able to teach 3 lessons to our investigator, Ricardo. In Español, I might add. The first lesson was really hard because it was on the second day and neither one of us knew Spanish, but since then we have come a really long way. Ricardo has been reading in the Book of Mormon and praying about Joseph Smith, and he is thinking about baptism! It can be frustrating not being able to say exactly what I want to say because of the language barrier, but luckily for us the Spirit speaks all languages. So even when I don't have the words, I can always rely on the Spirit of God to testify 


Embarassing moment: I was trying to tell Ricardo that the Gospel brings me peace. But instead of saying ´paz´(peace) I said ´pez´ which means fish. The gospel brings me fish. Whoops.


Hermana Kemple has no Spanish background, but she has picked it up really fast!! It´s funny, she can now give a beautiful, simple prayer in Español, but she still has no idea how to say the simplest things, like 'I have a cat'. Here in the CCM they skip all those basics and go straight to why we´re here, which is to share the gospel.


One of my favorite things about the CCM so far is making friends with the Latinas. In my casa, there are 6 American hermanas, and then 6 Latina hermanas. They don´t speak much English, and we don´t speak much Spanish, but we get along so well! It has REALLY helped improve my Spanish. And my acting skills, because we end up doing that a lot so they´ll understand what we´re trying to say. One night we had a 20 minute conversation with the hermanas in the casa about how to say 'the struggle is real'. Imagine trying to act that out! The struggle really was real right then haha. In case you were wondering, it's 'la lucha es reál´.


This morning we had the opportunity to go to the Mexico City Temple! Unfortunately, the temple is closed for renovations so we could only walk around the grounds. The temple open house will start August 14th, so just a week or so after I leave the CCM. And it will be rededicated in September. It is a beautiful temple though, and they have a sweet visitors center!


One quick thought: Everything truly does come line upon line and precept upon precept, whether it´s learning a language, strengthening a testimony, or developing a relationship with your companion. Because of this, it can often be hard to see progress from day to day. But I have learned that as long as we continue to pray and have faith in the Lord, He will always be at our side helping us. Looking back to where I was one week ago, I know that it is only through the Lord's help that I've been able to learn get to where I am today.


Thank you for your prayers! This truly is the Lord's work and because I have been given much, I too must give. I know that it is only through this gospel that we can return to live with our Father in Heaven. The gospel is such a blessing in my life. It has given me purpose, comfort, joy, and peace. (Not fish.) I love you all.


Hermana Baker
 


First day at the CCM!
 
 
 


My district: Me, Hermana Kemple, Elder Ekberg, Elder Barrett, Hermana Lucas, Hermana Christiansen
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment