Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Week 2

¡Hola familia y amigos!

It sounds like you had a good 4th of July! I'm sad I wasn't in the States for it because it's one of my favorite holidays. The people here at the CCM did try to make it special for us though, so that was nice. For lunch, instead of having Mexican food like we normally do, we had a huge American barbecue!! Hamburgers, barbecue chicken, curly fries, corn on the cob, watermelon, apple pie, lemonade.. It was awesome! Don't get me wrong, the food here is awesome, but it was nice to have something not Mexican. Other than that, it ended up being a pretty normal day. We dressed up in red, white and blue, but there weren't any fireworks or celebrations or anything.

This week we had to say goodbye to all of our Latina friends. They got here the same week as us, but they only stay for two weeks because they don´t have to learn another language. Saying goodbye was SO HARD. It really is amazing at how good of friends we became over those two weeks, especially because we don't even speak the same language. But, more Latinas came in last night and some more moved into our casa! So excited!! We sat with them at breakfast and lunch and they are super nice, so I can´t wait to get to know them better.

All the Latinas here think I look like Taylor Swift. The Latinas that just left, the Latinas that just got here, even my Latina teachers. They literally call me Hermana Taylor Swift. A few even took pictures with me just to send to their friends and families saying they met ´Taylor Swift´at the CCM. Haha it´s the strangest thing! I have never been told that I look like Taylor Swift before. I guess we´re both white but that´s about it..

Hermana Kemple and I finished teaching Ricardo, and now we have two new investigators -- Ofelia and Mauricio. We have these investigators for a few weeks, which will be nice because we´ll have time to teach them a lot of the gospel, instead of just a simple overview. Our lessons are only 20 minutes long though, and the time flies when you´re teaching, so it can be hard to focus the lesson on exactly what they need and not going off on tangents. We´ve been learning about how to begin teaching, which I wish they would have taught us at the beginning (that would have made sense, right?) because it could have been so helpful when teaching Ricardo. But now, we can use it with our future investigators.

This week in a zone meeting, one of the elders said something that has really stuck with me and that I want to share. You wouldn´t go into a lesson with your own lesson plan and expect your companion to just show up and know what your plan is and then teach a perfect lesson together. That would never happen. Your companion has to be included in the studying and planning so you´re on the same page and so that you can work together to help your investigator. The same goes with the Holy Ghost. We can´t expect the Spirit to be able to help teach the lesson, if we don´t include Him in the studying and the planning.

Yo sé que La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Días is la solomente iglesia verdadera. Yo sé que Jesucristo es el Salvador del mundo. Sé que Dios puede ayudar nos con todas cosas. Soy muy agradecida por esta evangelio en mi vida y por la oportunidad tengo servir una misión.

(Sorry, I´m still working on my Spanish, so the grammar and everything may not be perfect, but I hope the message comes across :)

I love you so much!

Love, Hermana Baker
 


It has rained every single day here! The mornings and afternoons are usually nice, but by dinner time it´s pouring.




We celebrated the Fourth of July with donuts for breakfast! I literally was a walking flag that day and it was awesome.




I love the Latinas!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment