Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 20

Another week come and gone! I can't believe we're already halfway through this transfer!

Zone Conference was this past week. The whole meeting was focused on teaching more simply, boldly, and directly. We practiced teaching each other the lessons in under 5 minutes. It was a good eye-opener because when you have such a short amount of time, you're only going to say the most important things! Cut the fluff! It reminded me of what David A. Bednar said in conference... "When you can't do what you've always done, you only do what matters most." He was talking specifically about getting old, but I think it can apply here as well!

So Hna Browning has this phobia of not being able to eat meat if it's still on the bone. It grosses her out and she won't even touch it with a fork and knife. When she first told me that, my first thought was "It's going to be a long 18 months, Hermana!" That's basically all the members feed us! I don't know how, but somehow she went her first two weeks here without getting fed meat on the bone. BUT this week we went to eat with Hna Juarez and *duh duh duhhhhh* she dished us up plates full of chicken legs and chicken wings. There was no way out of it. I was nervous Hna Browning would offend the Hermana.. But she ate it! I was so proud!! And she didn't even look that nervous. Haha she said it was super hard though. To put it simply, missionaries can't be picky eaters. (Nathan, you better learn to eat your tomatoes and onions!)

Yesterday was la programa de la primaria. We have been going to primary these past couple Sundays to practice with them, because they needed me to play the piano. At all the practices we had, only 15 kids or so would show up. One week when it was raining, there were only 8 kids at church. But yesterday for the program I bet we had around 30 primary kids there, and they did so awesome! One kid got stage fright and started crying, but other than that I would call it a success! These sweet kids brought the Spirit so strong, and I don't know why but when the little 3 and 4 year olds speak Spanish I can't help but smile :)

Unfortunately, our most progressing investigator Israel didn't show up to church :( His baptism was scheduled for next week, but we are going to have to push it back. We have a lot of faith that it will happen soon, though! Just gotta keep working with him until something clicks!

One night this week we had an extra hour of no one to see, so we went knocking in a neighborhood and we knocked at this one house that had it's porch light on. Nothing. We knock again, and this time the porch light starts turning on and off really fast a whole bunch of times. Haha took us totally by surprise! I have never had that happen to me before! We knock one more time, just for kicks, and then they start knocking back on the door to us. Man, we couldn't hold it together after that. We were walking away laughing our heads off. Although I never met the person who lives there, I hope one day I will be able to thank them for making us laugh on a rather hard day. And then give them a pass-along card :)

On a spiritual note, this week as a mission we finished reading the Book of Mormon! President Drake gave us a reading chart so that as a mission we are all reading the Book of Mormon together. When I arrived we were in Alma. After reading Moroni 10 I took Moroni's challenge again, and prayed to know if the Book of Mormon is true. And, like always, Heavenly Father answered my prayer. Just because you've already prayed once about the Book of Mormon doesn't mean you can't pray about it again! And just because you've received an answer that it's true doesn't mean that you can't receive that answer again!

So I would like to encourage everyone to pray about the Book of Mormon, whether it be for the first time or the 100th :) Everything in the gospel relies on the fact that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, so if you want to strengthen your testimony, I would suggest starting there. I have felt my testimony grow so much, and I know that a lot of that is because of the time I've spent pondering and studying the Book of Mormon.

Have a great week!

Love always,
Hermana Baker
It was Sister Thayne's birthday last P-Day so we threw her a surprise party!

 Wouldn't she make a cute missionary?!

Aaaaaaand we really took no pictures this week so here's a selfie of us emailing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment